Frequently asked questions
- How does Strategic Investment Realty differ from its investment real estate suppliers?
- How does Strategic Investment Realty differ from other real estate offices?
- How can I ensure this is the right investment for me?
- How many investment properties have you offered for sale and in what geographical areas?
- Do you have references and can I contact them?
- Do your Real Estate Advisors own the same investment properties you are offering for sale?
- Can a non-resident of Canada purchase these investment properties?
- Can I purchase any unit in the property and view the property before I buy?
- Can I live in the unit that I purchase?
- How do I know the market value of my unit at the time of purchase?
- How realistic are your cash flow projections?
- Are there any hidden costs?
- What is the minimum amount I need to invest in one of your investment properties?
- How do I know that the markets you choose will perform according to projections?
- I have an excellent relationship with my banker. Am I required to obtain financing through one of your approved lenders?
- How can I obtain a copy of the engineering reports, such as structural, electrical and mechanical, and appraisals reports for my unit or building and who do you use to develop these reports?
- Do I need to obtain extra insurance coverage for my investment?
- Will there be property management options for my property?
- How do I know how well my unit is performing financially?
- Can I claim Capital Cost Allowance (CCA) on my investment property?
- What is the difference between a Strata Corporation and a Condominium Corporation, and a Strata Council and a Condominium Board?
- What is the Condominium Corporation and how does it work?
- How can I view the condominium bylaws for my building?
- Is any portion of the condominium fees being used to offset the costs of improvements/renovations on my unit?
- What renovations are undertaken in a typical property after acquisition?
- Will I be informed each time you have a new property for sale?
- Are there restrictions on selling my property and can you help when I’m ready to sell?
- What if I don’t have any experience investing in real estate?
- Why do people join the Strategic Investor Club?
- What if I join the Strategic Investor Club and then change my mind?
- How long does it take for a membership to become effective?
- Do you mean I might not be accepted for membership?
- How do I join?
1. How does Strategic Investment Realty differ from its investment real estate suppliers?
Strategic Investment Realty is a licensed real estate company and our Real Estate Advisors are licensed professionals operating under the Real Estate Act of their jurisdiction. They have a fiduciary duty to ensure that you are treated in a professional manner, as well as adhering to an ethical standard of offering you only the highest quality investment opportunities. Our suppliers provide the high quality real estate investment opportunities presented to you by Strategic Investment Realty.
2. How does Strategic Investment Realty differ from other real estate offices?
Our primary focus is providing you with strategically selected real estate investment opportunities. Only a small fraction of our business is within the residential sector. Your licensed Real Estate Advisor is an investment real estate specialist, which means they can provide you with top notch advice tailored to your specific needs and goals. For instance, they are familiar with markets across North America so your portfolio can benefit from regional diversification, and they can offer you resale opportunities when you are ready to take that step.
3. How can I ensure this is the right investment for me?
Your personal Real Estate Advisor will meet with you to discuss investment strategies tailored to your specific goals, while providing you with all key documentation to make an informed investment decision. This documentation includes market overviews, appraisals, engineering reports, rental information and legal reports.
4. How many investment properties have you offered for sale and in what geographical areas?
Since inception in 2001, our team of real estate investing professionals has participated in providing our clients with over $775,000,000 worth of properties. These properties range from Scottsdale, Arizona to Charlottetown, PEI, with the majority of properties located in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario and Atlantic Canada. Properties in other geographic areas that meet our strict due diligence standards are considered on an ongoing basis with only the highest quality opportunities presented to you. Follow this link to view a listing of past properties offered for sale through Strategic Investment Realty.
5. Do you have references and can I contact them?
Yes, we do have references. You are welcome to speak to one of our clients directly or via email by contacting us to access personal references and testimonials from a selection of our satisfied clients.
6. Do your Real Estate Advisors own the same investment properties you are offering for sale?
Our licensed professionals own properties in the very buildings we are offering you. Their deep rooted belief in the value of investment real estate, coupled with their confidence in our proven systems and processes is why they have included these properties in their personal investment portfolios.
7. Can a non-resident of Canada purchase these investment properties?
Absolutely! While there are particular rules that apply, such as with mortgage financing, non-residents are welcomed to purchase our strategically selected investment properties.
8. Can I purchase any unit in the property and view the property before I buy?
In the case of a rental property, provided that your chosen unit is available for purchase, you may reserve the unit by placing a deposit. You may view the property personally prior to purchasing by arranging a tour with your Real Estate Advisor. This tour will include viewing individual units, common areas and amenities.
9. Can I live in the unit that I purchase?
Yes, you can because you own and control the unit that you purchase. You would simply have to give the current tenant proper notice.
10. How do I know the market value of my unit at the time of purchase?
A certified property appraisal report, conducted by a qualified (AACI) real estate appraiser, is undertaken for each individual investment unit. This provides you with an up-to-date determination of the current market value based on the comparative approach to value.
11. How realistic are your cash flow projections?
We believe in being conservative with our projections. All assumptions concerning income, expenses, inflation and appreciation are based on the most recent and reputable information available.
12. Are there any hidden costs?
We do not believe in hiding anything from you. We make sure that you’re fully informed about any costs associated with purchasing an investment property before you invest. For instance, you will receive a report detailing expected maintenance costs for your property during the upcoming 25 years, including the cost of items such as re-roofing and replacing the building’s boiler. We are committed to helping you be completely informed and to never be faced with unexpected issues.
13. What is the minimum amount I need to invest in one of your investment properties?
Conventional financing for Canadian properties is typically a maximum of 75 percent of the value of the property (80 percent in some instances). This means that you will need 25 percent of the purchase price, in the form of cash and/or alternative financing, as a deposit. You can use a secured or unsecured line of credit or many clients use the equity in their homes as a source of capital for a down payment. Keep in mind that the interest paid on these funds is tax deductible.
14. How do I know that the properties you choose will perform according to projections?
While we do not guarantee the properties we select to offer for investment will meet growth projections, our stringent due diligence process and the superior property management solutions offered by independent asset managers work together to significantly enhance the probability of this. A long term approach to real estate investing combined with our due diligence process and strategic asset management alliances reduces the overall risk to you.
15. I have an excellent relationship with my banker. Am I required to obtain financing through one of your approved lenders?
You are not required to finance your purchase through our approved financial institutions. In most cases, due to our preferred financing terms, clients choose to finance through one of our preferred partners.
16. How can I obtain a copy of the engineering reports, such as structural, electrical and mechanical, and appraisal reports for my unit or building and who do you use to develop these reports?
Copies of these reports can be viewed at our corporate office in Vancouver or by contacting your Real Estate Advisor. The firms contracted to provide inspections, appraisals or other services are independent and reputable firms with full accreditation in their professional field.
17. Do I need to obtain extra insurance coverage for my investment?
It is mandatory for the Condominium Corporation to insure the buildings, common facilities and improvements against fire and third-party liability. You may wish to consider chattel insurance for items within the unit, such as appliances or furnishings, where applicable.
18. Will there be property management options for my investment property?
There are optional property management solutions available to you after you purchase your investment property. These optional property management solutions are presented to you by reputable asset management companies.
19. How do I know how well my unit is performing financially?
If you choose to participate in the optional property management solutions, you will receive monthly statements from the property management company for your building. These statements outline the income, expenses and disbursements for your unit.
20. Can I claim Capital Cost Allowance (CCA) on my investment property?
Yes. You can claim four percent a year of CCA on a diminishing basis for your investment property. For instance, if your annual rent was $10,000 on an $80,000 property and your expenses totaled $8,500, you could claim $1,500 of CCA (depreciation). Then the following year your CCA would be four percent of $78,500. You must simply keep in mind that for rental property you cannot claim CCA below zero. Always consult your tax accountant for specific advice and clarification.
21. What is the difference between a Strata Corporation and a Condominium Corporation, and a Strata Council and a Condominium Board?
The difference is simply a matter of terminology used in different provinces. In British Columbia the terms used are Strata Corporation and Strata Council, whereas in the rest of Canada the terms used are Condominium Corporation and Condominium Board. For the purposes of this website, we will use Condominium Corporation and Condominium Board when referring to these entities.
22. What is the Condominium Corporation and how does it work?
The Condominium Corporation, an entity including all of the individual unit owners, is responsible for the management of common areas of the property. The property management company will derive a budget for these expenses and administer service contracts, insurance coverage, repairs and ongoing maintenance. The annual budget amount is allocated to each owner through the monthly condominium fees. As an owner of a unit, you have the right to attend Condominium Corporation Annual General Meetings and vote in matters related to the Condominium Corporation, including the election of members of the Condominium Board.
23. How can I view the condominium bylaws for my building?
You are required to read and understand a prospectus or disclosure statement (whichever applies) prior to purchasing an investment property through Strategic Investment Realty. This document includes comprehensive information regarding the property, including the condominium bylaws. Other information includes legal descriptions, condominium plans, unit entitlements, strata budgets, rental disclosure and the terms of offering.
24. Is any portion of the condominium fee being used to offset the costs of improvements/renovations on my unit?
In no instance is your condominium fee used to offset renovation costs. The condominium fee cover insurance, condominium property management expenses, service contracts, janitorial services, repairs and maintenance to the building, landscaping and electricity and heat in common areas.
25. What renovations are undertaken in a typical property after acquisition?
The renovations and improvements undertaken vary from development to development. Where renovations are being undertaken, a schedule of renovations is provided to you indicating the exact upgrades or improvements. Certain improvements may be offered on an optional basis (e.g. appliance or blinds packages).
26. Will I be informed each time you have a new investment property for sale?
Yes, you will be informed of each new investment property offering. This is one of the key reasons why people join the Strategic Investor Club.
27. Are there restrictions on selling my property and can you help when I’m ready to sell?
You own and control your investment property, which means you can sell it whenever it suits your needs. And while we encourage you to adopt a long term strategy for your investment properties, we are here to help when you are ready to sell. Follow this link to find out more about how we can help.
28. What if I don’t have any experience investing in real estate?
Then the Strategic Investor Club is ideal for you because through this club you will have access to industry professionals and the vast experience that our Real Estate Advisors have in formulating successful real estate investing strategies.
29. Why do people join the Strategic Investor Club?
Investors become members of the Strategic Investor Club because they are determined to expand their investment horizons through prudent real estate investing. They join the club to gain access to exclusive investment opportunities, to be the first to know about them and to invest without the time commitment usually associated with building a quality real estate portfolio.
30. What if I join the Strategic Investor Club and then change my mind?
Our satisfaction guarantee allows you to cancel your membership within 60 days of joining and you will receive a full refund, provided you have not purchased a property.
31. How long does it take for a membership to become effective?
The process takes approximately 48 hours from the day we receive your executed membership agreement, at which time we will advise you as to whether it has been accepted. If it is accepted, your membership will go into effect upon payment of your membership fee.
32. Do you mean I might not be accepted for membership?
The Strategic Investor Club seeks long term, satisfied members. If, given our experience, we conclude that the Strategic Investor Club is not right for you we will regretfully decline your application.
33. How do I join?
Simply complete our Member Signup Form and submit it by mail or fax to 604.872.0746. Applications are also available online and can be e-mailed.